Thursday 4 April 2013

Maple Syrup

Have you all ever wondered how to make maple syrup?
Honestly it never did occur to me until I had the opportunity to see how it is made. I was in Canada in 2011 and was privileged to be part of a group to visit the home of a very warm Mr. Hart.
The Woods, where Maple Trees can be found
I learnt that the Maple Trees found in the woods are tapped to get syrup. When an extremely cold night is followed by a warm day during the months February through April, the temperature will be perfect to get a good flow of sap. It takes forty gallons of sap to get one gallon of maple syrup!

The syrup is boiled for hours until the desired consistency is attained then filtered to produce the perfect maple syrup.
Filter used to in the maple syrup process

I do hope you remember this post the next time you enjoy your Maple Syrup!

Home-made Maple Syrup bottled in 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment