Monday 13 May 2013

Ginger

Ginger............ a gift from heaven?

I think so..... for those of you who are not sure what ginger is, it is a root which is often mistaken for a spice when in reality it is a herb. Ginger has a very pungent and distinct flavor that is used both for cooking and medicinal purposes.
It is popularly used  in the Caribbean as a seasoning to enhance the flavours of food, sweets and delicacies. In the beverage world it is used to make both hot and cold drinks. 
Although I personally don't really like the flavour of ginger, it did literally save my life. During a trip to Canada in the winter season, I got the flu.I was so ill that I was seriously crying for my mommy! My friend and room mate, Chantal Edwards has the biggest heart ever. She saw me in pain, unable to eat, drink or move....she got dressed and ventured out into what can only be described as a miniature blizzard, went to Walmart and returned with ginger. Using the only appliance available, the microwave, she made me hot soup......I remember seeing fusilli pasta floating in a broth. She sat on a chair and watched and waited while I slowly consumed the soup as while it was hot. Looking back I realise that my taste buds were to ill to work because I did not even recognize any of the flavours of the soup. I slept after my soup was done and woke up a few hours later and was able to smile for the first time in two days. She gave me a second helping of soup, this time I was able to recognize the ginger, but she sat there and ensured I drank every single drop of this intensely flavored soup.By the time I had a second nap and awoke, I was fine.... I was healed...... no meds....just ginger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although I still do not appreciate the flavour of ginger, it did save me......So thank you Chantal for going out in the blizzard to get the ingredients to make me" ginger soup"......
The next time you think you're getting the flu, please make a cup of fresh ginger tea, drink as hot as possible and experience the healing properties of this root!







2 comments:

  1. yes it's good for tea but too strong for me just good enough for me to cook with but it's good to know that you had fun with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I certainly did not have fun... I was so sick that I did not even have any taste in my mouth,....but girl that saved my life!

    ReplyDelete